Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Here I Go


     Hello everybody, welcome to my blog site, ODDBALL MIND. Yeah, it's a strange title, I know. I chose it because, as a child, I was called the "oddball", since I was the only single kid in the middle of two sets of identical twins.  Early on, I decided I would embrace the title of oddball, as I am unique in God's eyes, and many times I see and do things just a little bit differently than other people.
     I decided to start blogging as a way to tell my story, record my thoughts, feelings, and lessons on this journey of life for my grandchildren. I just had my first grandchild, a beautiful little girl named Mary Grace, born April 5, 2012. Her birth was the highlight of my life, and I hope to watch her grow into adulthood, along with my other future grandkids.  I will be called "Mima"... because it sounds much cooler and hip than the traditional "grandma, nanny, or mamaw"... This is a record of my "oddball mind" for her to get to know me better as she grows, as well as for me to put down my thoughts on paper (something I have always felt a need to do).
     First, a brief history of my journey in this life so far, where I've been and where I hope to go...
     I was born the middle child, right in between two sets of identical twin girls. From the beginning, I was "odd girl out", and that set a pattern for the rest of my life. I grew up in Kemper County, a very rural area of East Central Mississippi.  My family was poor and life as a child wasn't always easy, but I learned the value of hard work, pinching pennies, and trusting God. My best friends growing up were my 4 sisters, and my very special first cousin, Becky, whom I claimed as "my twin sister", since I was the only single kid and she didn't have a sister. I had many adventures as a child, some of which I will share with you later on in my writings. 
     I attended and graduated from Neshoba Central High School, in Philadelphia, MS. It was a really large school, but we all knew each other and our teachers, and my class was very close and we still keep in touch. I skipped my 11th grade year by taking summer school and correspondence courses, and graduated in 1981. We just celebrated our 30 year reunion (gasp!) last October, 2011.
     After high school, I attended East Central Community College, where I majored in Sciences and graduated with an Associates Degree in Science in May, 1983. I married that same month, and I lived in Killeen, TX for several years (my first husband was in the Army). While in Texas, I attended Central Texas College, where I graduated with my Degree in Nursing as a Registered Nurse in December, 1985. I was nine months pregnant with my first child (a daughter and the mother of my first grandchild) when I graduated from Nursing School.  Shortly after she was born, I moved back to Jackson, MS and began my career as a nurse, mother, and animal caretaker (dogs, cats, and horses... with the occasional iguana, snake, rabbit, squirrel, and raccoon thrown in by my children). I have lived in many areas of several states throughout my life. My son was born 2 1/2 years after my daughter, while I was living in Butler, Alabama. They both reside there now.
     Currently, I live in Forest, MS with my white German Shepherd Dog, Lady. I have two Mustang horses I rescued through a local animal rescue league, One More Chase my gelding, and Meridale's Miracle my mare. These guys are my passion and my best friends. I learn from them every day, and I am blessed by having them in my life. I enjoy a variety of pastimes, from writing to fishing, horseback riding, roller skating, music (piano), and hitting the gym.  I started running in September, 2011 when I found out I was going to have a grandchild, so that I would be in great shape to keep up with her! I also wanted to set a good example of physical fitness for her and any future grandchildren. I run 2-5 miles a day now, as well as work out with weights. I recently added stretching and some yoga with meditation (prayer for me) to my daily routine. I try to eat healthy, I buy organic and all natural products whenever possible. I believe in homeopathic and natural remedies and use Young Living Essential Oils (therapeutic grade) in the place of modern pharmaceuticals. I feel better now than I did 20 years ago!
     As you can see, I am one busy lady! Between my children, grandaughter, horses, dog, nursing and exercising, I stay on the go.  Follow my journey through this beautiful, wild and crazy life... I guarantee you will be entertained and provoked to new ways of thinking and seeing life. 
Welcome to my world,
Mustang Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment